Thursday, January 30, 2014

Can you understand me yet?

So I know I haven't really introduced myself to all of you but I figure you'll get to know me pretty quickly- I typically struggle with filtering, as in I really don't have one! So stick around and you'll probably learn a bit more than you wanted about me...

I am in my 28th week of pregnancy right now with my first baby and like any other crazy, hormonal, big bellied mama-to-be I have had my share of uncomfortable symptoms and unfulfilled cravings. What makes my situation "unique" is that I am an American currently living and working in Northern Spain, making some of the daily pregnancy encounters a bit of an "adventure." By the word "adventure" I mean at times frustrating, hysterical, ridiculous, tear-inducing or just down right confusing.
My sweet little guy!

For example, communicating with the doctor- sounds simple enough, right? Well when you have six months of Spanish lessons under your belt, zero medical vocabulary and a billion questions about all of the crazy changes that are taking place in your body... Welllll, lets just say it makes things...interesting. I like to stop and reflect after a particularly difficult appointment what our interactions must sound like to an observer. I think it would go something like this:
Doctor: "Ok Summer, everything is looking just fine, do you have any questions."
Me: "Yes, I not sleep. I no comfortable. Me belt hurt me in night."
Doctor: "Belt?"
Me (While pointing to my hips): "Here, it hurt here."
Doctor: "Yes, that's normal. Don't worry about that, any other questions?"
Me: "There are breast classes, classes to learn me to eat my baby?"
Doctor: "Yes- let me give you information about breast feeding classes..."

And on and on we go- How this man manages not to pull out his hair or die laughing is beyond me!

No comments:

Post a Comment